YOU could be next!!
Illness resulting from eating food contaminated w/ a bacteria or virus.
May cause outbreaks where many people become sick, with the same illness at the same time. (about 10% of a population)
1. Usually contaminated food comes from a location away from home (restaurant, baseball game etc.).
The tracking of outbreaks of illness (not always food illness) to discover where the original source of contamination came from.
To PREVENT it from happening again!
1. Many types live in poultry & swine (birds & pigs)
2. Can be found in environment
d. animal feces
3. Found in undercooked meats, eggs
a. 1 in every 3 eggs is contaminated!
b. Illness can be avoided if eggs are cooked properly.
3 Conditions BAC need to live
Extreme heat (this is BEST!)
Pasteurization - a heat treatment used to kill bacteria. (commonly used with milk & juice)
CAN be fatal - RARE!
Will be sick within 6-72 hours after eating contaminated food. (NOT usually sick immediately after eating!)
Symptoms usually last 4-7 days
Most recover without antibiotics
Diarrhea can be severe enough to hospitalize person (dehydration)
Bacteria that produces a powerful toxin & can cause severe illness.
1. Most strains harmless
2. Live in intestines of healthy humans & animals.
3. Found in undercooked ground beef & non-pasteurized milk.
A. Meat can become contaminated during cattle slaughter.
B. Bacteria on cow’s udders or on equipment can get into milk.